Thursday, May 18, 2006

Song

I've walked in a desert all of my life
I've lived in the dry sand.
I search for a home, not starving,
With Hope indwelled in the land.

In the distance a sight comes to me.
I see walls rising high,
The glint of gold, the shine of silver,
A fresh breeze draws nigh.

The temperature falls, the sun still tall
I lay my hand to the brick.
A fortress, a temple, a palace, a home,
A garden, perfumed light and quick.

I walk the long wall, in it's cool shade
I pace the path beside.
A gate I find shut, all bars and lock
Guarding this desert bride.

A tremor of joy nigh breaks my heart
To find this guarded jewel.
A man who left such a blessed spot
Is naught better than a fool.

And fools do die, unsatisfied,
While good men guard the way
And win the key to Beauty's heart,
A gift, a wedding day.

So here I'll rest, with all my best,
Though ground now cold and hard,
'Till I'm let in, and ownership win,
A husband to replace the guard.

No comments: